What is the Student Government Association?
We’re a little different than your high school’s Senior Class Counsel.
Who Are We?
The Student Government Association is a diverse and critical organization on campus that focuses on you, the student. Everything the SGA does aims to fulfill its mission of improving student life on campus. Through a variety of smaller organizations, dedicated personnel, and strong leadership, the Student Government Association is proud to support the interests of Embry-Riddle students since 1960.
Because Embry-Riddle is a unique university, its SGA is equally as unique. To make the biggest impact on campus, the SGA is composed of smaller organizations that have specific goals and actions of meet the needs of students. The branches of the SGA ensure that students have the representation, protection, and voice that they deserve as students of the university. The divisions of the SGA provide students with campus news and entertainment with the help of three volunteer organizations.
While the SGA holds high standards and expectations for its members, the Student Government Association is always thrilled to welcome new members into its organization. The rewards of being an SGA representative are limitless and many of its members have become successful and influential leaders on campus. Members have the opportunity to gain leadership experience while making a difference for their peers. Additionally, students have the opportunity to network, gain insight into student politics, and develop friendships that will last a lifetime.
“Your Student Government Association is here to serve YOU. We are proudly “for the students, by the students.” Please feel free to stop in if you want to get involved or have any ideas of how we can make your student experience the best it can be. Go Eagles!”
– Chad Stearns, 2017-19 SGA President
The Branches are the heart of the SGA. Each Branch has specific roles and purposes to ensure that students have the voice, freedoms, and campus they deserve.
- The Executive Branch is responsible for overseeing all of the operations of the SGA and enforcing its mission to improve student life on campus.
- The Representative Board carries out projects on campus and relays student concerns to university officials through the appropriate channels.
- The Student Finance Board assists campus organizations in their semesterly funding and manages all financial aspects of the SGA.
- The Student Court advocates for and protects students’ rights while also assisting students with their parking citations.
The Divisions of the SGA are organizations that aim to provide services that directly impact the Embry-Riddle community. They are an integral part of the SGA’s mission to improving student life on campus. Most importantly, the Divisions are comprised of students just like you who volunteer their time and skills!
- The Avion Newspaper is the news division of the SGA. They cover and report on all the happenings on campus and in the aerospace industry on a weekly basis.
- The Emergency Response Team is the SGA’s newest division. ERT has been providing life-saving emergency care to the Embry-Riddle community since 2006.
- Touch-N-Go Productions is the programing division of the SGA. They work to thrill students with activities like concerts, outdoor movies, and comedy shows.
- The WIKD 102.5 is the music division of the SGA. They are Daytona Beach’s only free-format radio station and students have the opportunity to become on-air DJs!
Committees, Members at Large, and Functional Positions
In addition to the divisions and branches, the SGA is also composed of many smaller, sub-organizations and positions that are essential to its operation.
- Committees are comprised by members of the Student Representative Board and their purpose is to address specific problems and tasks within the University and SGA.
- Members at Large are individuals who assist the Student Government Association with tasks and operations, but are not official representatives of the SGA.
- The recently created category of Auxiliaries represents annexed organizations to the SGA; organizations which we see fit to officially support for the betterment of campus and the SGA.
- Functional positions are positions where individuals are either appointed or hired to assist in the day-to-day operations of the SGA. Functional positions include SGA Student Assistants, SGA Webmaster, and Executive Board operational staff.